The Thursday Test - White Pens

So, I decided to add a new "segment" to my blog called The Thursday Test.

At least twice a month on Thursdays, I will try to explore products in my stash & in the stores. I will let you know what I think and invite you to chime in with your thoughts too!

Today, I am exploring white pens/markers. I have been intrigued by projects, cards in particular, with the faux stitching and white accent marks. I polled my sistas over on the Cricut Messageboard and found that most of them use the elusive Uni-Ball Signo White Gel Pen... well, the only place I have seen that online for a decent price is at JetPens, but unless I buy a case of them, the shipping is a bit much.

So I turned to my specialty pen/marker collection. There I found four different white pens & markers - Marvy Memories Opaque Stix, Sakura Glaze Pen #800, Sakura Souffle #950, and Marvy Extra Fine DecoColor Opaque Paint Marker.



I got the ink flowing in all four pens/markers and tested them on bright orange cardstock, royal blue cardstock, black cardstock, & deep purple cardstock. I did a line or so of dashes and a line of dots (what I see on most of the projects that feature the white ink).


The Marvy Opaque Stix showed up pretty well, but didn't come in as opaque as I expected. The Sakura Glaze pen turned out to be the clear one and had no opacity at all. The DecoColor Paint Marker reminded me of yellow chalk on a used blackboard - it was very pale and, again, not as opaque as I would  have liked. The Sakura Souffle, however, was the standout in the test group... though it goes on clear-to-milky, it dries solid white.



I pulled out my card stash & found this Joy card I created many Christmases ago. I added the faux stitching to the corner & the dots around the sentiment with the Sakura Souffle. I think this will be my go-to pen until I can get up the, uhm, nerve to purchase a box of Uni-Balls. Next up, I will make a card with one of my newest cartridges & be sure to use my Sakura Souffle pen.

What type of white pen/marker do you use?

Comments

  1. I used the Uniball pen until it dried up. I need a new one but it's hard to get as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I am new to the craft and I have been using Elmers opaque pint markers, and they seem to okay to me.
    cathy
    mexicopetshop@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Gelly Roll pens by Sakura.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great test and I may give the sakura souffle a try. I do have several in my stash already, I need to pull them out more often!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for posting!

Popular posts from this blog

It's that Time! The Pursuit for 250 Followers!

SST Christmas and Countdown to the New Year Blog Hop!

Happy February: Angie's Paper Passion's 50th Birthday Blog Hop